You’ll find a lot of Ocean Isle fishing posts on the Williamson Realty Vacations blog, and there’s a reason for that. There are just so many ways and means to cast a line and explore the bounty of the Atlantic Ocean, many of which depend on personal preference. From novice anglers to expert sportfishers and everything in between, there is something for every age and experience level here on the North Carolina coastline.
Today we’re rounding up the 10 most-asked questions on this topic and the answers you need to know all in one place. We hope you find this helpful!
1. Do I need a fishing license to fish during my OIB vacation?
- Anyone fishing off the North Carolina age 16 or older must have a NC Coastal Fishing License. This includes those fishing from the beach, private boats, and fishing from docks.
- If you plan to fish off the public fishing pier, they have a commercial license that will cover you. Charter fishing boats also carry a blanket commercial license, so you won’t need one.
- To purchase your license in advance or for more details visit the NC Wildlife Commission website.
2. What kind of fish are biting in Ocean Isle Beach?
- Ocean Isle runs from Tubbs Inlet to Shallotte Inlet, so there are ample opportunities for inshore fishing. Black Drum, Flounder, Red Drum, and Speckled Trout are the most common targets.
- If you are in search of big catch, the population of King Mackerel is especially abundant in spring and fall.
- There is also good Cobia fishing in May right off the beach.
- Bluefish and Spanish Mackerel are prolific much of the year.
- Bottom fishing on the many reefs and shipwrecks off the coast provides lots of Gag Grouper, Red Grouper, Scamps, and Snowy Grouper are caught from the nearshore to the deep.
- During certain parts of the year, it is not uncommon to reel in Blackfin Tuna, Bluefin Tuna, or Yellowfin Tuna and Wahoo.
- You can read more about what you can catch in Ocean Isle Beach on the Fishing Status website.
3. Is there a public fishing pier in Ocean Isle Beach?
- Yes! The Ocean Isle Beach Pier is located at the heart of the island.
- The pier opens at 7am seasonally but it’s always best to confirm before you go.
- Here’s the contact information for the OIB Pier:
4.Can I surf fish on Ocean Isle Beach?
- Yes! It’s one of the cheapest and easiest ways to enjoy fishing the North Carolina coastline. You only need a few basic fishing supplies, an NC coastal fishing license, and you’re all set.
- You can read more in our previous post on the topic: Everything You Need to Know About Surf Fishing in Ocean Isle Beach.
5. What is deep sea fishing and where can I find it in Ocean Isle Beach?
- According to FishingBooker.com, deep sea fishing is all about being out on open waters, usually so far away from shore that you can no longer see it. The fishing action generally takes place in waters at least 100 feet deep, with targets being big fish that live offshore.
- North Carolina has long been recognized as a world-class offshore fishing destination since the 1930s and for good reason. The North Carolina coastline extends out into the Atlantic Ocean placing it closer to the Gulf Stream than almost anywhere in the United States north of Florida.
- The other advantage that deep sea anglers have on the North Carolina coast is the presence of great species throughout the year heading in both directions as the cool waters from the Labrador Current converge with the warm waters of the Gulf Stream. This means there’s a greater opportunity to fish for a wider variety of species than from other East Coast destinations.
- You can read more aboutwhy the Brunswick Islands rank in the top 3 for best deep sea fishing in NC here.
6. What are the best head boat and fishing charters in OIB?
- That’s a great question! There are plenty to choose during your Ocean Isle Beach vacation. Sometimes it is hard to choose, that’s why you should read this first.
- Then you can peruse your OIB charter fishing options and book the right one for you. A quick Google search will show you your nearby options on the map, and you can find related articles on the top fishing charters, highest rated, 10 best, etc.
- Here arelocal options for charter fishing in Ocean Isle Beach.
7. Where are the best places to fish in OIB?
Lucky for you there are a ton of wonderful fishing spots in and around Ocean Isle Beach. It really depends on what kind of fishing you want to do and where you want to be. Here are a few recommendations.
- On the beach outside your Ocean Isle Beach oceanfront vacation rental
- Off the dock of your Ocean Isle Beach canal-front vacation rental
- At the Ocean Isle Beach Fishing Pier
- Deep Sea Fishing on a charter boat
- Nearby in the town of Little River
- On the Cape Fear River
- Driving down to nearby Myrtle Beach
8. Where can I find OIB tide charts with high and low tide times?
Ocean Isle Beach tide charts contain important information for boating, fishing, shelling, and more. Again, you have plenty of options for local tide charts, but here are a few of the top picks.
10. Are there any Ocean Isle Beach vacation rentals that are best for fishing?
That depends on which kind of fishing you want to do while you’re here. Some of our Ocean Isle Beach rentals have certain advantages over others.
- For instance if you want to try your hand at surf fishing, an oceanfront rental is pretty convenient.
- Canal-front rentals are popular options if you want to have access to a private boat and/or fishing dock.
- Ocean Isle Beach vacation rentals located near the pier are the perfect pick for those who want to pier fish.
- SeveralOcean Isle Beach condo complexes offer some of the above-mentioned fishing amenities, too.
- The Advanced Search Option pageon our website makes choosing the amenities that matter most to you quick and easy. It only takes a few clicks to narrow down your options and filter out what you don’t need or want.
The best news of all is no matter where you choose to stay in Ocean Isle Beach, you’re always close and convenient to fabulous fishing on the NC coast. Enjoy!