There’s nothing like the classic American summer road trip. You know the one where the kids are all packed up, dad is lost, and mom is trying to keep everyone happy. Ok, so maybe this isn’t a National Lampoon movie, but we have a few tips and tricks to help you get to your Ocean Isle Beach vacation safely while having a little fun. Here is everything you need to know.
Nothing is worse than breaking down on the road, especially when you are a long way from home. One way to prevent this unhappy event is by checking your car over carefully before you hit the road for your Ocean Isle Beach vacation. For a complete list of things to check, click on the video above. These are all simple things that anybody can do from home to ensure you get to spend your time on the beach and not on the side of the road. Here are five things you must check before you hit the road.
1. Oil Level- A car’s oil is its lifeblood. Without it you can cause severe and irreparable damage to your engine. Before the trip check your oil. Make sure to do this when the car is cold and on a level surface. Top off or get it changed if your level is low.
2. Tires- Did you know that low tire pressure is not only potentially dangerous but also kills your gas mileage and makes your tires wear faster? Inspect them and look for a nice even wear pattern. If there are bald spots, wires showing, or uneven wear, it is time to see a tire professional.
3. Coolant- Nothing is more refreshing than an Ocean Isle Beach breeze on a hot day, and nothing is hotter than a car that is about to overheat because it has inadequate coolant. Check coolant levels when the engine is cold and on level ground. Always check the reservoir and the radiator.
4. Brake Fluid- We don’t want you sailing past your vacation home because your breaks failed. Few safety items are as essential as properly functioning brakes. Check your fluid and if you have any doubts have your breaks serviced by a reputable professional.
5.Windshield Wipers- Good visibility is critical to getting safely to your destination. Luckily, we have beautiful Carolina sunshine most of the time, but an afternoon rain isn’t unusual so make sure your wiper blades are in good working order and free of dry rot.
Get The Car Kid Ready
Traveling with kids, especially the little ones, can be a challenge. Even the best behaved kids get a bit antsy after being in the car hours on end. However, there are a few things you can do to make this time in the car easier on the kids. As well as a whole lot easier on mom and dad. Here are five tips and hacks to help make the best of a day on the road with the little tikes.
1. Pack Snacks- No need to stop and buy unhealthy sugary snacks. Pack a small cooler with your kid’s favorite healthy snacks and drinks. Plus this will save a bunch of money.
2. Put Down The Technology- Being on the road is a great time to connect with the kids. Take away the technology and play fun games like the “Alphabet Game,” where each player tries to find something of each letter. For longer trips, play the State License Plate Game. It’s a great way to pass the time and help school-aged kids learn the names of all the states. To play, make a list of all 50 states in the United States, then have your kids try to spot a car with a license plate from each state.
3.Bring Travel Pillows – Pillows are a must on a long road trip, but full-size pillows can take up too much room (and cause arguments when “his pillow keeps touching me!”). Don’t forget a light blanket. Inevitably one child is hot on the sunny side while the other is cool.
4. Bring A Collapsible Trash Can-If you’re traveling with kids, one thing you definitely want to be prepared for is sickness. Cleaning up after someone’s been sick in the car is NOT FUN. Line a mini pop-up trash can with a few grocery bags and stash it somewhere handy in the car. Hopefully, you won’t need to use it, but if you do you’ll be so glad you have it!
5. Get A Seat Back Organizer- It’s hard enough fitting all your luggage in the car for a road trip, so when you add in things for kids to do (coloring books, iPads, toys, etc.) the stuff can get overwhelming. This is where a seat back car organizer can really come in handy!
We hope these tips help you have a safe and trouble free drive to your vacation destination. Who knows, maybe the kids will even have fun in the car. But, before you get in the car you need a great destination. What better destination is there than Ocean Isle Beach? With our small town charm, pristine beaches, and family-friendly atmosphere, all roads lead to a great time on Ocean Isle Beach this summer. If you still haven’t booked your vacation rental give us a call at 800-727-9222 or click the button below to book your vacation online.