Everything You Need to Know About Bringing Your Golf Cart to Ocean Isle Beach
It seems that golf carts are becoming more and more popular. Traditionally you see them on the course or in a beach community. However, now they are popping up in cities like Wilmington. Golf carts are easy to use, cost-effective, quiet and perfect for zipping around Ocean Isle Beach. This week we have all the information that you'll need to have a safe and fun beach vacation with your golf cart on Ocean Isle Beach. Grab the keys and let's go.
Before you fire up or shall we say unplug your golf cart and hit the roads, there are a few things that you need to know. Like anything else on the road, if handled improperly or not maintained properly, they can be a danger to yourself and others. Here are the five things you must know to safely travel the roads of Ocean Isle Beach.
1. There are age restrictions. Some believe, mistakenly, that anyone can drive a golf cart on public roads. This is not true in North Carolina. To be legal you must be at least 16 years of age and have a valid driver's license.
2. Golf carts must follow all traffic laws.
3. Keep it under 35 mph. On all North Carolina roads, golf carts can only be driven on roads with a maximum speed limit of 35 mph. The golf cart, however, cannot exceed 20 mph.
4. All golf carts must be registered and have liability insurance.
5. Golf carts must have two headlights and two taillights to be operated at night. Otherwise the golf cart is limited to being operated during daylight only.
Renting a golf cart
Don't have a golf cart? No problem, there are lots of options for renting a golf cart during your stay on Ocean Isle Beach. Golf carts can be rented for a day or a week. Most have four or six-person models. Many have required headlights and tail lights for night operation. You can book your cart rental early ensuring the best rates. Click here for more info.
Five tips for a safe golf cart experience
Whether you're renting a golf cart or using your own, it is always good to review a few common sense rules of the road to ensure you have a safe and fun time exploring Ocean Isle Beach. Here are five common tips recommended by the folks at Esurance.
1. Wear your seat belt. Whether you're the driver or the passenger, strapping yourself in is a big part of golf cart safety. And if your only option is a golf cart that isn't equipped with seat belts at all, look for another one or don't ride at all.
2. Slow down when turning. If you've been driving cars for years, you may be accustomed to accelerating through turns without a second thought. This, of course, is because you've always had the luxury of a door to hold you and your passengers in. In a golf cart, this isn't the case. To help keep everyone tucked safely inside, approach turns slowly and with extreme caution.
3. Honk the horn at intersections. Loud, sudden noises may be taboo on the golf course, but off it, they can be lifesavers. Your golf cart's lack of size can make it hard to spot in traffic. That's why it pays to make yourself known ahead of time by tapping the horn before going through intersections.
4. Don't drink while driving. This may seem like a no-brainer to some, but it bears mentioning. Whether you're playing 18 holes, doing light yard work, or cruising a beach resort, there are times when cracking a cold one while driving your golf cart seems not only permissible but common. However, this is a dangerous misconception. Remember, golf carts are subject to the same traffic laws and dangers as regular cars. Drinking and driving is illegal.
5. Avoid sidewalks. Just because a safe speed for your golf cart is roughly walking pace doesn't mean you should actually accompany those on foot. The safest riding route is typically on the street or designated recreational trails (where bikers and joggers know to expect you). Of course, golf cart safety doesn't end with these tips. To help ensure a successful ride each and every time, follow the same traffic laws and common sense guidelines you would in your car.
Do you have your golf cart loaded up and ready to head to Ocean Isle Beach? Have you booked your Ocean Isle Beach vacation home? If not, now is a perfect time. Give us a call today at 800-727-9222 to speak with one of our friendly and knowledgeable reservationists or click the button below to explore all of our current inventory.
Where is your favorite place to take your golf cart on Ocean Isle Beach? Leave a comment below and let us know about it.