How to Have an Amazing Golf Vacation This Fall
Posted On Monday, October 30, 2017
North Carolina is famous for a lot of great things; beautiful beaches, BBQ, college basketball and of course golf! If there is a Golfer's heaven then the North Carolina coast is it and Ocean Isle Beach is right in the middle of golf paradise. Centrally located near several amazing golf courses that are perfect for your fall vacation on the links. Golfers are like truffle pigs, always searching for that perfect course, that perfect day on the links. Well, this post is for you! Today we will give you links, (pardon the pun) to all the best courses in the area. Fall is the perfect time to enjoy the less crowded courses and beautiful fall weather. The best part is your day begins and ends on beautiful Ocean Isle Beach.
Five Tips for Fall Golfing
- Walk-During Fall it is important to walk the course for a couple of good reasons. One you're getting ready to go into the winter off-season so keeping in shape is important and walking is a great way to maintain your fitness level. Even more important, on cool fall days, walking will help you stay warm and limber during your play which is ultimately going to lead to better scores and less chance of injury.
- Layer Clothing- North Carolina is famous for beautiful but changing weather. This is never truer than during the fall. Be prepared for cool temperatures, a little rain or changes in the wind all of which can play havoc not only on your game but on your comfort. By layering up you can make sure to stay comfortable throughout the day. Consider a good base layer that allows a good range of motion, Under Armour, is great for this. Also, don't forget a windbreaker of some sort.
- Club Up-Particularly during the morning and late season you will come across cooler temperatures. Cold temps equal less distance on your shots, so when in doubt club up one club. This is particularly important on approach shots!
- Ball Selection-Not only will you need to club up, but you might want to consider using a softer ball. Harder balls are great in hotter weather, but when it is cold you will lose a lot of feel with the harder balls particularly on the green. You will sacrifice some distance on the tee but will like the better control of a softer ball on the green.
- Course Debris-Fall is well, fall and this means wind, and lots of leaves falling and pine needles flying about. Sure, golf courses do a great job at keeping the courses clear, however, you can't control mother nature. Take extra care to plan your shot, and recon the green particularly when putting. You'll find a lot more obstructions during fall then during your normal summer play.
Ocean Isle Beach Home CourseBrick Landing Plantation and Golf Club- If you are looking for the closes course to your Ocean Isle Beach vacation rental look no further than the Brick Landing Plantation and Golf Club. Offering everything you need to enjoy a beautiful day on the links you might never leave the island once you find Brick Landing. Here are some of the details. The course features a beautiful setting nestled among marshes, historic oaks, accentuated by cool ocean breezes. While playing you will start and finish you round along the Intracoastal Waterway. Brick Landing is noted for long rolling impeccably maintained fairways, so get that long game ready. Brick Landing also has a comprehensive pro-shop for any last-minute things you might need. On-site is a resident pro, offering group, or individual instruction on their well thought out practice facility. Rates are competitive, with many club and reward cards accepted. Juniors play for free with an adult which is great for introducing the little ones to the links. All fees include cart and green fees. Reservations can be made online and for non-members, reservations can be made up to 10 days prior to tee-time. We are sure you'll love our "local" course and look forward to hearing all about it.
1882 Goose Creek Rd Southwest
Ocean Isle Beach, NC 28469
Fifteen Minutes to Golf Paradise-Calabash, NC
About fifteen minutes to the west of Ocean Isle Beach you'll find a couple of great courses that you won't want to miss. It is ok, go ahead and book a week, you're going to need it with all this great golf. Two courses are particularly popular and fall is the perfect time to duck the crowds and hit these fun links.
Brunswick Plantation and Golf Resort- Perhaps the most laid back and easiest of the courses in the area the Brunswick Plantation and Golf Resort is a great
course for the
beginner to the
intermeidate golfer, not that more experienced golfers won't enjoy the course, but this is an easier place for many to play. The resort features three different courses, Magnolia, Azalea, and Dogwood. Rates at the resort are reasonable and out of all the courses noted in today's blogs the best for the budget conscious player. Of course, there is a full-service pro-shop, and lessons are available for all skill levels. Enjoy an after golf drink or meal at the 19th Hole Bar and Grill. Tee times can be booked online and there are lots of great packages for multiple days of play. Currently, there is a $20.00 discount offered for online bookings adding to the courses affordability. This is a great course to play particularly if the whole family wants to get out on the links.
380 Brunswick Drive
Calabash, NC 28467
The Pearl Golf Links- Two words say it all about The Pearl Golf Links... Dan Maples. For many a few special hours on a Dan Maples designed golf course is about as good as life gets and we can't agree more, well with the exception of relaxing on an Ocean Isle Beach, but luckily you can do both this fall.
The Pearl Golf Links is actually two courses, Pearl West and Pearl East. Both courses are surrounded by 900 plus acres of beautiful marshland in beautiful Calabash, NC. The courses are challenging but playable for all skill levels. The Pearl offers a great driving range and practice facility. Tee-times can be booked online and currently, there is a $20.00 discount for online bookings so make sure to take advantage of that special. A full-service pro-shop is available with all the latest and greatest equipment and the friendly staff is always ready to offer pro-tips and advice. Take a rest after a long day on the course at the bar and grill and let the lies begin...we mean stories of glory...sorry. We are sure no matter which of the two courses you play you're going to leave with some great memories.
1300 Pearl Blvd
Calabash, NC 28467
The Trifecta of Sunset Beach
The Thistle Golf Club-Welcome to paradise, 27 holes of perfection in beautiful Sunset Beach, NC. The Thistle Golf Club features not one, not two, but three separate courses. This is a club that harkens back to its Scottish roots and you can be forgiven for thinking you're in the old country while walking the links of The Thistle Club. The courses are steeped in tradition and you'll love the old school feel. Note there is a dress code, no t-shirts, denim, cargo shorts etc. Please review prior to arrival as the dress code is strictly enforced.
Now on to the courses. The three courses are Stewart,
MacKay and Cameron. Each course has a unique design, offering different fun and exciting challenges for players of all skill levels. Water is everywhere on these courses, the fairways are perfect, with gentle rolls and slopes to keep you on your toes. These courses require smart calculated play, so the "grip and rip" types will be punished severely for letting egos run wild. Another nice feature that adds to the regal feel of the course is the 10-minute interval between pairs tee-times, versus the traditional 8-minute interval, this per the club allows for a more relaxed and enjoyable feel, and we have to agree. Prior to playing make sure to hit some balls on the driving range or the 10,000 sq foot practice putting green. Rates are reasonable and can be booked online up to 11 months out. Make sure to call for group rates. My favorite little touch is that range balls are
included with all greens fees.
1815 Olde Thistle Club Rd
Sunset Beach, NC 28468
If this post was a little overwhelming for you golf fanatics,...well we don't apologize, but we can help. Ocean Isle Beach vacations are still available for the fall golf season. There is plenty of time to get lots of great rounds of golf in this fall and we have the perfect vacation home just waiting for you. We look forward to seeing you this fall on Ocean Isle Beach...don't forget the golf clubs.
Don't forget to leave a comment below about your recent golf experience during your Ocean Isle Beach Vacation!