It’s hard to believe but it’s about time to say goodbye to 2017 and hello to 2018. We can’t think of a better way to celebrate than a New Year’s Eve party on Ocean Isle Beach. With tons of great vacation rentals to choose from, all complete with the perfect combination of amenities and location, we’re sure you’ll find the perfect vacation rental to celebrate the start of 2018.
Last week we discussed the Ten Best Christmas Traditions To Start This Year, well maybe we should have included one for New Year’s Eve as a bonus. But, alas there is still plenty of time to book the perfect Ocean Isle Beach vacation rental and to start a new tradition this New Year’s Eve. Here is everything you need to know to plan the ultimate New Year’s Eve party on Ocean Isle Beach.
Find The Perfect Vacation Home
You can’t have the ultimate Ocean Isle Beach vacation without the ultimate OIB vacation home. The good news is there is plenty of time to find the perfect vacation home for your family and friends to celebrate the New Year. All of our vacation homes come nicely appointed with features like gas grills, large porches, multiple bedrooms, hot tubs, and large family rooms and kitchens that are ideally suited for a great New Year’s Eve event. Pictured above is one great example of our beautiful vacation homes; East Second Street 244-Autry with five bedrooms, a perfect location, modern kitchen and plenty of space for all your guests. You may find your New Year’s resolution is to move to Ocean Isle Beach permanently…we understand the feeling.
No gathering of friends and family is complete without great food. Let’s face it, for many of us staying up past midnight is not the norm so a little-added fuel is exactly what the doctor ordered for this special night of indulgence. However, you don’t need to go crazy with heavy dishes and a full sit down dinner (not that there is anything wrong with that), but instead, try one of these five great recipes creating smaller dishes that everyone can nosh on during the evening.
- Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms– These savory and earthy delights are sure to be a crowd pleaser. With a warm combination of sausage, garlic, celery, red pepper, and a nutty flavored Parmigiano cheese I think it is safe to say you’ll need to double or triple the recipe.
- Roasted Shrimp Cocktail-You had me at shrimp! No party on the OIB is complete without some local seafood, and this twist on a classic is just perfect for your evening party. Easy to make and paired with the perfect cocktail sauce, we doubt you’ll be having any leftovers in 2018.
- Heavenly Chipped Chocolate and Hazelnut Cheesecake-If you are going to have a sweet treat you might as well make it special. This delicious take on a classic cheesecake is sure to make your dentist cringe and your guest asking for the recipe.
- Big Easy Gumbo-What could be better than a warm bowl of Gumbo on a cool January night? We can’t think of anything better either, but we do have the perfect recipe to “wow” your party goers. Of course, again we feature shrimp, but you can’t blame us. This is the beach after all.
- Peas and Kale Salad with Bacon Vinaigrette-Black-eyed peas have been a long-standing tradition that people believe brings good luck in the New Year, and we could all use a little good luck. Let’s keep the tradition going, but with a little twist. These aren’t your normal boringblack-eyed peas. Being North Carolina, we figured a recipe with a little vinegar and bacon was just the right combination for your New Year’s Eve dish.
Have Great Games
There are some fun games you can play during your party that are great for bringing folks together and being reminded of the importance of family and friends. Use this special time to enjoy one of these fun games.
- Resolution Guess- This game requires participants to match a resolution with the person who made it. As your guest arrive, have each one of them jot down a New Year’s resolution and their name on an index card. During the party, give each guest another index card and have them number it with a number for each person present. As you read aloud the resolutions your guest write on the back of the index card the number of the guest they think corresponds to the resolution being read. The one with the most number of correct guesses wins. You decide the prize.
- Song Matching- When your guests arrive, instruct them to write the first few lines of a song on a long slip of paper. Cut the slips in half and save for later during the party. Whenever guests seem to need some fun, announce it is time to use their song lyrics. Pass out the slips and tell your guests to find the person holding the slip with the lyric that matches theirs. The first to do so wins the game. You can also use this for pairing up dinner or dance partners. Don’t forget the kids, they will love this game, even if mom and dad don’t love the music.
- Guess the Number- Have a large glass jar or bowl filled with counted pieces of candy, pennies, or marbles on a table where your guests arrive. Even better would be seashells you collected earlier in the day. I would do two jars/bowls one for the adults and one for the kids. In the kids, you might prefer to do some candy as a special treat. Provide small slips of paper for them to guess the number of items in the container. Sometime during the party announce the winner. You don’t have to wait until the end of the party. Announcing the winner in the middle of the party is a great way to bring everyone together for a few moments. If you use pennies or candy, the prize for the winner can be the jar or bowl and its contents.
Include the Kids
Ocean Ise Beach is synonymous with great family fun, and celebrating a new year is a wonderful way to share a little extra time with the kids. From watching the ball drop in Times Square on the television to staying up late with family and friends, the little ones will remember your Ocean Isle Beach New Year’s Eve party as much as the adults. Here are a few tips to help the kids have a great night.
- Food-Keep the food for the kids simple. Everyone loves pizza. It is easy to make ahead of time, relatively inexpensive and a fan favorite. Make sure to have a lot of snacks like chips, pretzels, and cookies. Normally staying up late is a parent’s nightmare but tonight is a special night so if you are going to have soda, and a sugar-induced charge of energy then tonight is probably the one night you can justify it. Make something special, that gives you the chance to start a new tradition with the kids in the family. Maybe it is a special dessert, or dish that you rarely make or only make on New Year’s Eve.
- Have a separate space-With many of our beach rentals available with downstairs spaces, it is the perfect way to give the kids a little space. Maybe put on an age-appropriate movie or have a separate music source for the kids to enjoy. A little space is fun for the kids and lets mom and dad celebrate with friends as well all under the same room.
- Get a babysitter-Yeah I know this seems strange but if you have small children and a larger group over it is well worth your sanity to have a babysitter come over for the night to help with the kids. It is the little helpful things a babysitter can do that can make the evening just a little more enjoyable for both parents and kids. Trust us it will be the best money you spend all evening.
No party is complete without great music and when you’re saying goodbye to one year and hello to a great new one you have to have the tunes to match the mood. Some songs are timeless, others are more recent hits, but from Jazz to Rock these songs will put everyone in high spirits as you count down the minutes. All of these are available on iTunes or Amazon music. If you are going to be outside and need a great sound then check out our previous post: Your Guide To the Best Christmas Gifts For Your OIB Vacationwhere we feature some products that
Save The Last Dance For Me- Michael Buble
Fly Me To The Moon- Frank Sinatra
The Best Is Yet To Come- Tony Bennett
It Had To Be You- Harry Connick Jr.
What Are You Doing New Year’s Eve- Ella Fitzgerald
Let’s Start The New Year Right-Bing Crosby
Funky New Year- Eagles
Happy New Year- Abba
Joy ToThe World- Three Dog Night
Here at Williamson Realty, it has been our pleasure to serve all your family’s Ocean Isle Beach vacation needs, and we look forward to doing so in 2018. Our dedicated and hardworking staff are honored to have been your partner in finding the ultimate Ocean Isle Beach vacation in 2017, and whether you are returning for another great OIB vacation or a first time visitor were sure you’ll love 2018 on the OIB.